Friday, March 26, 2010

How life was meant to be...or was it?

I was looking today at Gen 2 on www.youversion.com (which is fantastic and any internet involved Christian MUST check it out) and I found just the title of someone's post on the chapter and it was titled "How life was meant to be." And I was suddenly surprised to hear something in me yell "No!"

"Alright then," I said to myself "what is it supposed to be like?"

"It's supposed to be like Jesus..."

"And...?"

"The new heavens and the new earth. It is supposed to be like that and not like what it was. We as people of God are not to push back towards the Garden. Life is not meant to be a return to the Garden, and any attempt to get back there will be met with a flaming sword. We are to look forward to life with Christ, not backward to the grave. The way we have heaven now is not to fix the broken world, but to walk ever closer to our savior. Adam and Eve did not have it great because they got to walk around naked eating fruit, but because they walked close to Christ every day and every hour.

"And God when he came back and established his kingdom did indeed heal the sick and the blind and the lame, but he did not restore the garden. What he did in his death and resurrection was unite us to himself so that now we can walk closer to him more than it was to bring back the perfect balance of nature and all else. His restoring was a taste of what is come not what was before. The curtain was torn in two, and now we can walk with our Lord every day and every hour. We even have his spirit to guide and comfort us. This is what we are to revel in and seek after.

"But how much of every day am I trying to restore the garden? How much am I trying to make things 'the way they were meant to be'? Instead my efforts should be focused squarely on Christ and the way things will be in the future."

"Ah," I said to myself, "that makes more sense. Let's press on then. And do try to be more eloquent when you decide to interrupt."

1 comment:

J. H. Harris said...

Well, at least you're being friutful and multiplying! ;)